Join our quarterly newsletter to stay in touch with us and get a free track download!
In 1956 the band was featured in an Iron & Steel Corporation of Great Britain magazine publication under the appropriate title, ‘Come Listen to the Band’ by author Peter Williams.
Eight players were workers at the giant steel plant in nearby Ebbw Vale, and the article
paid a rather whimsical tribute to their, and the band’s, achievement in
coming runner-up at the Second Section National Finals at Kensington Town Hall
A number of images were taken courtesy of the publications department of the Richard Thomas & Baldwins Limited, Steel Company of Wales - although the works itself had been nationalised in 1951.
These included the band in
rehearsal under conductor Cornelius Buckley; awaiting registration at
Kensington Town Hall on the day of the competition, and being conducted by Harry
Mortimer in what was to be a trial to see if he felt Tredegar was good enough to
give a BBC radio broadcast.
(A committee minute meeting of December 1955 noted that he felt they were not)
One image that did not make it into print though was this; of the band committee in a rather staged meeting, supposedly discussing important matters of the day.
Conductor Con Buckley can be seen second from the right with a cornet mute in his hand, whilst the Chairman (centre) is a gentleman called Idris Thomas. The man pointing at something of note next to him is Gus Powell, a lifelong player and committee man, whose association with the band lasted over 60 years.
The aim of this Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) supported project is to provide an on-line multi-media resource that will celebrate and interpret the historical importance of the social, cultural and musical achievements of Tredegar Town Band over a time-line of the past 170 years – from the earliest reported origins in 1849 to date.